Tuesday, April 29, 2008

back from WHIBSIB!

I had SOOOOOOOO much fun this weekend!! On Friday I met some LSSK gals downtown Austin and we had lunch then hit a couple yarn stores. I got sock yarn (of course!) that is hand dyed and is a lovely purply/pink color, I think I will use it to do a pair of lacy socks since it will show off the pattern beautifully. I *think* it is superwash merino but I'd have to go look.

After we shopped we headed to the cabins. I was the first to arrive in my cabin and I remembered that Brenda, the cabin coordinator, said to get the check from the moderators cabin. At least, that's what I thought she had said. So I went down to their cabin and said hi, and said that i just needed to get the check for our cabin. They said "oh, ok!" and went on unpacking their cards. I thought maybe someone else in their cabin had it but then I thought hmmmm, maybe I'm wrong. All I can say is thank goodness for my blackberry! I looked up the email from Brenda and it said they would have the check in the office! OMG I'm such a dork. Hopefuly the mods didn't think I was mental LOL. Anyway got checked in and went to the cabin. Therese showed up a little while later. She was so sweet, she made everyone in our cabin matching market bags and stitchmarkers. She put other goodies in our bags too! We all loved the bags so much that most of us got yarn for them. Julia made one on Saturday (she refused to go to bed until she finished it and finally got it done about 1 am!) I'm working on a modifyed version of one, the original pattern says to use either size 11 or 13 needles but I'm using size 3s with much smaller yarn. I'm almost done and it is turning out CUTE! Although I learned not to knit on tiny needles while drinking wine. I had to rip it out 4 times Saturday night before finally giving up LOL. I also learned that I am not a good knitting teacher when I've been drinking. Teaching someone to knit 2 socks at a time on 2 circs while having a drinking game (everytime someone is counting, you take a drink!) is not an easy thing LOL. Oh well. It was a blast. On Saturday we all went into town and met up with most of our group at a cafe. We have photos of several of us knitting at the table while waiting for our food--my husband would die if I ever did that when we went out LOL. Of course the one thing I forgot, in addition to my tool container with my sewing needles and scissors and stitchmarkers, was my camera. ::::::::sigh:::::: I did get to see the photos others took though! After eating we went shopping in the little boutiques in Wimberly, had some WONDERFUL chocolate and found some great old yarn at an antique shop. I got a cone of mystery yarn, I'm thinking wool and acrylic blend? Anyway it is rust/red with flecks of other colors and is shiny, we're guessing 500 yards or so of dk weight, maybe worsted weight, for $2.75. It will make a great market bag. Then we went to the alpaca farm where I bought some lovely silk blend yarn that is purple and cream, that's what I'm using to make my mini market bag. Saturday night the whole group, or at least most of them, came up to our cabin. We had thought about going down to theirs but we were having hard times getting vehicles out due to the rain and the mud, and our senior member Nan wasn't able to walk down the huge hill then up the hill to their cabin. Actually, given that we had already gotten in to the wine, I don't think any of us could have maneuvered the hills LOL! It was nice though that everyone came to visit us! It was so neat meeting all the people I talk to online all the time. we showed off our tattoos (OMG one lady had one I so want to get, it was a butterfly perched on a ball of yarn!!) drank, ate, knit, talked and had a blast. I bought some beautiful stitch markers that double as earrings from Birdy, who's husband makes them. GEORGEOUS.

Sunday we packed up and I headed down to the Mod cabin again to pick up some yarn from Alice. She donated like 5 big bags full of yarn for Stitches From The Heart. I'm going to donate it, along with some needles from Nan and Julia, to the local nursing homes for preemie knitting. Many other ladies handed me preemie hats that I will mail off this week. I haven't counted them yet but it is a LOT. Thank you so much ladies!!!! I love looking at all the cute little hats! I had to pull each one out and everyone oohed and ahhhed over them, they're so adorable. :-)

I did actually knit this weekend too. I got about half a panel done for Meg's blanket, and I finished my mom's socks. I had meant to bring my chunky socks to finish too but forgot so I finished them today. Here's some photos:

my chunky socks. Knit with Lion brand homespun. Not ideal for socks but I wanted to try the pattern and hell, one chunky weight yarn is as good as another, right? Not really, but they did turn out OK. Really warm.

Mom's socks. I can't wait to give them to her!!!
meg's blanket. I crocheted them together with knit picks twist in cotton candy. I'm halfway thru a yellow panel. I think I'm just going to stick with the 3 colors, I was going to add blue but I think it would be too much. Pink purple and yellow are enough.

OK, well, I'm off to bed. It is 3:15 am. I went to bed at 10:30 b/c I'm still fighting allergies or whatever (ugh, I'm worried it is turning into bronchitis, I may have to drag myself to the doc tomorrow!) and I was exausted. I normally don't go to bed until 12 or 1. So after falling asleep so early I woke up around 2 and haven't been able to sleep since. I'm going to try again. Good night!

No comments: