Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Hello/free pattern for reusable coffee sleeves



Hello! This is my new craft blog. Here I will post photos of my projects (mostly knitting and stamping), sometimes free patterns, and probably some stories about my kiddos. I'm new to blogger and not very computer savvy so please be patient with me as I try to figure out how to post photos and make my blog look cool LOL.




Today I'm going to post a free pattern for an environmentally friendly reusable coffee sleeve. I heard about this idea on DIY's "Uncommon Threads", one of the guests owns a coffee shop and crochets reusable sleeves instead of providing the cardboard kind. They didn't provide the pattern though, and I'm a novice at best when it comes to crochet, so I decided to make up my own pattern for a knit version. I had to make several prototypes to come up with one that adjusted to the size of the cup without becoming too loose. Anyway, here's the pattern:




materials:


US size 5 straight needles (can also be done on DPN's to avoid seaming if you prefer)


small amount of washable worsted weight yarn, I recommend cotton. For mine I used Lion Brand's Cotton Ease.




c/o 36 sts using your preferred cast on method, I use long tail.


work in k3, p3 ribbing for about 2 inches


work in seed st (k1, p1 across 1st row, then on following rows k the p sts and p the k sts.) for about 5 rows. bind off in pattern and seam sides together.





the ribbing paired with the seed stitch gives it a nice triangular shape that stretches to fit all sizes of coffee cups. They're also very quick to make, so you can make several and keep them in your car or purse for whenever you get a starbucks craving! :-)

Well, I'm off. I have a craft bazaar in a couple weeks and I've got 2 tables going, a knit table with lots of different projects and a stamp table that my mom and I are doing together. Fun fun! I've also got several orders to fill for knit play food. My daughter is napping and my son is at preschool so I'm going to try to get some stuff done. Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment and let me know what you think! :-) Hugs!

2 comments:

wildflower38 said...

Cool sleeve :)

JenDavey71 said...

Mine seems a bit tight; guessing my gauge needs adjusting :-)

Also, it seemed to fit better w/ the seed stitch at the bottom...

This was a great project for a beginner branching out to something other than plain-jane knit stitch!

Thanks!