Thursday, November 19, 2009

Lacy Fingerless Mitts



I'm BACK! And I have a new pattern for you!! (Plus we got a new charger for our nice camera, so the photos are much better quality than my last few!

Introducing, FINGERLESS MITTS!





These are knit flat then seamed up the side, leaving a space for the thumb. Here's my pattern:

Materials: Less than 100 yards of worsted weight yarn. I used almost exactly 1 ball (had about a yard leftover!) of 127 Print, color #40. (100% wool. I have to be careful not to accidentally felt these!)

1 pair size 7 US straight needles, or size needed to get gauge.

Gauge: 16 sts= 4".


I got the lace pattern from a hat pattern in a book and modified it a bit to knit flat and changed the decreases a bit.


Cast on 37 stitches. Knit one row.

For lace pattern (1 stitch on each end is for seaming up)

Row 1: K1, *K1, yo, s1k1psso, K2, K2tog, yo* repeat to last stitch, K1.

Rows 2 and 4: Purl

Row 3: K1, *K2, yo, s1k1psso, K2Tog, yo, K1* repeat to last stitch, K1.

Repeat rows 1-4 until 1 " shorter than desired length. I did 11 repeats. Do 6 rows of 1x1 ribbing as follows:

Row 1: *k1, p1* across
Row 2: *p1,k1* across.

Bind off in ribbing pattern, leaving a long tail for seaming.

I blocked it, but you don't have to. I dampened it carefully so it didn't felt, then stretched it slightly and pinned in place until dry.

To seam up, hold on hand and use removeable stitch markers or safety pins to mark the beginning and end of your thumb hole. Starting at top with WS facing, use mattress stitch to seam to the beginning of thumb hole. Whipstitch around one side of thumb hole (so you don't have to cut the yarn and weave in extra ends), then continue seaming from the end of the thumb hole to the end of the piece. Weave in ends, and wear proudly!







These are great for those chily mornings when it's too warm for gloves but not warm enough for bare wrists.




Feel free to use this pattern to make these for yourself, a friend, or make a bazillion of them to sell at a craft show, I don't mind. Just please give credit where credit is due, if you share the pattern please link to my page instead of copy/pasting it, and please don't pass off the pattern as your own. Thank you!

And I realized that i had never shared pics of the finished Spiderman blanket! Here it is. I did make a mistake, I got so excited about finally being done that i forgot to garter stitch the last few rows, so I did 2 rounds of half-double crochet. He LOVED it!! He uses it at school for rest time :-) And I finished it at 12:30 am the morning of his party, so JUST in time! :-)

3 comments:

Suna Kendall said...

I think I might make a version of these as one of the hand warmers for kids that a grandma has asked me to make. Sigh, I really ought to do those and get it out of the way.

Blankie came out excellent!

Louisa said...

I've just made one so far, I'll start the second tonight....I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.....too bad the first pair is a gift for a friend. Thank you!

iffer@AOL.com said...

I would love to see a photo when done!! Feel free to email it to me at iffer@aol.com and if you don't mind, I will post it here. Happy knitting!