Saturday, March 1, 2008

dissatisfying knitting

Ever have a project you worked hard on but just weren't that thrilled with it? Did you give into the urge to just rip it all out and give up or did you keep going, possibly ending up with a project you don't like and spent wayyyy too much time on? Or worse, is it sitting unfinished in a closet somwhere taking up valuable knitting needle space?

I'm here to tell you it is OK to rip. no matter how many clues, er, rows you have done. Ok, yes, you guessed, I'm going to rip my Secret of the Stole ii. I'm wayyyyyyy behind and I'm just not liking the pattern, and I think my yarn deserves better. I have super yummy soft alpaca cloud in the mist heather that is G-E-Orgeous. Love love love it. Want it to become a project I love, and thus far I'm just not. So in order to regain my sanity and a spare pair of size 2 circs, I'm going to rip. But I'm not just stopping there folks. Oh no, I'm fearless. I'm also going to rip not one but TWO pairs of socks!!! Yes, that's right. I've gone ripcrazy. Actually, I already ripped the first pair, a pair of purple lace socks I wasn't liking. Love the pattern but the yarn wasn't turning out right. So, rippppppppp. The yarn will be used for something else entirely I think, I'm not liking it for socks. Knitpicks Pallete for anyone who wonders. Not soft enough for my tastes. I'm using some of it for a knit doll right now, from a book called precious knits for kids or something, I browsed thru someone's copy at my knitting night and LOVED it. Dh got a great deal on buy.com too. :-) Anywhoo, I'm making the doll out of that book with pallette right now, and will probably do the castle and finger puppets with it too. Maybe some knit food as well, I have some cute patterns I've been wanting to try, and of course have a friend requesting some.

The other pair of socks I may not rip, I may choose to stop the madness. We'll see. I love the colorway of the yarn, its a bit rough for me but once it is knit it feels softer. I'm knitting it on size ones though, and that is taking a while. I think I'm considering doing the ripping because I'm dreading having to pick up all those stitches. Hey, for anyone readin this who is a sock knitter--when you do toe up and/or short row heels, do you have to pick up all those gusset sts? I hate doing that and having that awquard feeling on my needles for several rows not to mention the work involoved in picking the stitches up. And the yarn in question is dark and verigated so with tiny size 1s it will not be pleasant. We'll see.

Still working on the sweater. A nasty kidney infection and ensuing reaction to my antibiotic left me too ill to knit (GASP!) for much of this week. I'm finally getting back on my feet and back on the needles though. Now I gotta whip my hands back into shape, using those size 2's for that doll was hurting my poor fingers! They're out of shape. Are there finger push ups? LOL.

Happy knitting!

No comments: