Monday, July 6, 2009

re-organizing, AGAIN



Ok, it's no secret that I HATE to clean. I especially hate organizing, mainly b/c I'm no good at it. Really, I'm terrible. I get sidetracked far too easily, and a simple 1 hour job ends up taking me all day. Plus I've been having hip problems since having our daughter 2 months ago (WOW has it been that long already?) which makes bending and sitting on the floor painful, thus making organizing lower shelves virtually impossible. My office has been a mess for, well, longer than I want to think about. I have a habit of kind of throwing things on shelves instead of taking the time to put them away where they belong, and yarn was piling up behind my door because my yarn closet was scary. I mean, open-the-door-and-stuff-falls-on-your-head scary. Like the can of slinky worms that when you open it they all pop out. Yep, that was my yarn closet. So recently all my purchases (and there have been, um, a lot) have wound up staying in the bags and stacking behind the door in my office. It made getting to the light switch a bit difficult, but being the slob that I am I just stepped over them. :-) However, as they saying goes, opposites attract; I am married to a neat freak. A SERIOUS neat freak. He has a hard time sitting down to eat until the kitchen is cleaned up from cooking. He's nuts. And I say that with a lot of love. Well, we reached an agreement yesterday--he could have the couch from my office (which he has been coveting for months!) if he helped me organize my stuff. It was my idea, but he jumped at it. I think the mess was about to drive him insane even though I kept the doors shut. He KNEW the mess was there and that was enough to eat at him. So while I fed the baby and helped him a little, he pulled all the stuff out of my yarn closet, sorted out the stuff I was going to give away, put away the rest neatly, then took my couch out and rearranged my office. I had to do most of the organizing in there because he doesn't know where I want stuff, but I will admit it is a lot easier to move around in there without the couch. The room seems a lot more open.

I still miss having somewhere comfy to sit besides my computer chair plus when someone comes over or when my kids are in there I want an extra seat, so tomorrow we're going to IKEA for a small armchair. Maybe a new computer chair too, this is his old one since we moved my PC to the living room and my computer chair is out there. His old one is HUGE and I don't like it. I love IKEA, great stuff (if a bit too modern for my tastes sometimes) and cheap!

Since my room was nice and organized, I was able to make this:

A little treat container for my friend Dawn, who's going on an extended trip to vist family. Inside was a few cookies. This container is a recycled baby formula can. Since we go thru a lot of them, I save them to stamp on. They make great piggy banks, just cut a slit in the top. Or treat containers, as seen here. I'm thinking I could make something really cute for Christmas gifts. I've been trying to stamp more, since knitting has kind of taken over. I love knitting, and it is a lot easier to do around the kids, but stamping is a lot of fun too, and since she refuses to knit (I'm still working on her though!) stamping is something that my mom and I enjoy together.

As for knitting, I finished 2 pairs of baby socks and. . . that's it. I started a lace tunic from the book "french girl knits" (GREAT book BTW, lots of nearly seamless knits. Cute stuff.) but I'm not progressing very quickly on it.

Well, off to feed the baby and put her down for the night. Hopefully she sleeps thru the night, we're still hit and miss on that. Good night!

1 comment:

Suna Kendall said...

Nice to see a photo of the finished work. I keep going into my clothes closet and basking at the results of my painful cleaning there. I have kept it clean a month, too! So, it can be done. But, I am a shelf-piler, too!